Help - FAQ

We hope our ‘Help – FAQ and The information below will help you understand the legal requirement for keeping your vehicle up to date with and MOT and road TAX.

If you need to book you vehicle in for an MOT then please follow this link to the booking request form or call us on 01227 730184 MOT Booking

Click the heading or the + plus sign to see more about the answer to the question

Help - FAQs - MOT logo

A – You need to make a SORN (Statutory Off Road Notification) when you take a vehicle ‘off the road’ and you want to stop taxing and insuring it.

Follow this link to find out more about making a SORN When you need to make a SORN

A – Tell DVLA you’re taking your vehicle off the road, for example if you’re keeping it in a garage. This is sometimes called a ‘Statutory Off Road Notification’ (SORN). Follow this link to find out more Register your vehicle as off the road (SORN)

A – Cancel your vehicle tax by telling DVLA you no longer have the vehicle or it’s off the road. You get a refund for any full months of remaining tax. Follow this link to find out more Cancel your vehicle tax and get a refund

A – When your vehicle has reached the end of its usefulness, you must get it scrapped at an authorised treatment facility (ATF). These are sometimes known as a scrapyard or breaker’s yard. Follow this link to find out more Scrapping your vehicle and insurance write-offs

A – No, as soon as a car fails it’s MOT test it is unroadworthy and liable to offence.  The car is only allowed on the road if you are taking it to a MOT centre for a re-test.

Click the + sign to see more information